GFIC - The Canada Express Study (CES) program provides a streamlined study permit application process for students planning to attend a CES member school. It is delivered in partnership with Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan). There are many benefits to applying under the CES program, including reduced financial document requirements and faster processing times.
1. How do I qualify?
- Submit a Letter of Acceptance from a CES member school;
- Submit an IELTS test result showing average 5.0 or higher, with no individual band less than 4.5;
- Submit a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian Financial Institution;
- Undergo a medical examination before submitting your applicant, AND
- Submit your application at a Visa Application Centre.
2. What documents do I need to submit?The Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) removes the requirement to submit proof of assets or banking history. In addition to the GIC, you must provide a copy of the receipt from the participating college confirming that you have paid the tuition fees for the first year of study.
3. How do I obtain a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?At present, Scotiabank is the only participating Canadian Financial Institution. Visit the Scotiabank website to learn more about the GIC.
4. What about the medical examination?Students applying under the CES program must undergo a medical examination before submitting their Study Permit application by visiting one of the designated panel physicians. After completion of your medical examination, the panel physician will provide you with one copy of your medical examination form. You must submit a copy of this form with your application for a study permit. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION UNTIL ONE WEEK AFTER YOUR MEDICAL EXAMINATION IS COMPLETED. Undergoing the medical exam before submitting your application does not guarantee the approval of your application. All costs for the medical examination are payable by the applicant and are nonrefundable.
5. Am I guaranteed a study permit if I apply through the CES program?No. The CES program provides a streamlined application process but you must still meet all of the requirements for a study permit. The Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) reduces the amount of financial documents that you and your family are required to submit in support of your application for a study permit, but does not guarantee the approval of your application.
6. What happens to my GIC if my study permit application is refused?You will be able to apply to the bank that issued your Guaranteed Investment Certificate for a full refund of your GIC.